Cabbage and Noodles – Quick, Easy and Comforting Recipe
The past few days the weather has been warmer. Yesterday it was 46°! So we took advantage of it and headed outside to work on the deck. We replaced the old privacy screen that rotted over the last 7 years. We actually finished it in one day and I’ll share once the weather is warmer.
For me cooking in Winter is the best time since it’s cooler in the kitchen. Even reaching 46° in the day it dips right back down when the sun sets. After working hard all day I wanted a quick, easy and comforting meal. Cabbage and Noodles were perfect since it’s such an easy dish to make. Ten minute prep time and 40 minutes to cook.
So easy…lightly brown the sausage in olive oil. See those roasty bits which are really concentrated flavor. The fancy term for those brown bits is Fond!
Then add a little more oil and butter and saute onions. Next, add cabbage and garlic and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
After sauteing, add the cooked noodles and peas and stirred until combined. Pair it with a salad and your meal is complete.
Just when you are too tired to cook this dish comes together in a jiffy!
Cabbage and Noodles is also an economical dish, but the best part is that it is good!
Cabbage and Noodles
Using simple pantry ingredients for a quick, easy and comforting meal. Pair it with a salad and your meal is complete.
- 12 – 16 oz turkey sausage or any kind you like, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large diced onion
- 1/2 head chopped cabbage, about 6 cups
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2/3 cups frozen peas
- 10 oz. uncooked egg noodles
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to your liking
- Cooked noodles to package directions (I usually go 1 minute less). Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat 1 tbsp of the oil and cook the sausage until lightly browned.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, butter, and onion. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and garlic. Cook until tender (10-15 minutes). Stir in peas, noodles, and salt & pepper.
- Cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy.