Its been a week since I posted because we took a break and attended a vintage trailer rally. We hemmed and hawed about going and finally decided to go since it had already been paid for. There’s was some plumbing work that was also going on but that’s for a later post.
In some ways I feel as though most of my summer posts have been about the trials of the remodel. At times I debated whether or not I should share the progress, or lack thereof. But since this is our life I’ve decided that it might help others when they are going through tough times.
We left off having the upstairs hallway and guest room floor were laid/patched…
Sanding the floors (original flooring) was the next step. The area above is the new hallway. We wanted to rent a floor sander but Tommy thought the area was too small. It was tedious work and took 5 days to sand the hallway, bathroom and closet. The master bedroom flooring was going to be done after the tub was installed.
Before fine sanding and staining the floors the drywall went up followed by taping, mudding and sanding. This process took over a week and gosh what a mess. The box is a ceiling fan with a radio in it! The things they come up with these days..being able to soak in the tub listening to music coming out of the exhaust fan…
There have been several concerns and red flags that have been piling up with the construction crew…
A mess is just one of them. The mudding and sanding extended over two weekends. Before leaving on Friday I’d ask for a clean up and got when its all done. Several weekends Chaz and I cleaned up so we could get to our closet without tracking dust throughout the house.
Actually the dust was everywhere no matter how often we cleaned up.
We ended up sweeping and getting rid of bags of garbage.
We also washed the floor every weekend and when they arrived on Monday the area was cleaned and organized. Last week I shared a fall vignette to see it click here.
Then we had to get this sweet cast iron tub up the staircase…all 225 pound of her. Tommy didn’t bring a dolly so..
His partner couldn’t lift anything and Mr. C helped get it up the stairs.
At one point I was standing behind Tommy pushing on his back/butt to keep him moving upward. We were all exhausted but we made it up the stairs.
When we finally got it upstairs we couldn’t figure out how to mount the feet..they kept falling off? The feet needed to be attached to determine the water pipes.
On the bottom of our tub was a marking 1939. During my internet research I connected with Ohmega Salvage, Berkley, California. Steve is an expert on cast iron claw foot tubs. He told us that 1939 was the end of the popularity of claw foot tubs and production soon stopped thereafter.
After viewing the photos he said this was only the second time came across this kind of an attachment. Bolts are typically used to secure the claw feet.
The claw feet were attached using “cut” nails. Back in the day cut nail (square on all four sides) was and today are used in masonry work. We we so lucky when we found out Ace Hardware stocked them! Even though Mr. C had to grind them down a bit he finally got them thin enough to pound the nail in behind the latch to secure.
Next post will bring you all up to date where we are in the project, 14 weeks in to it.