I've never really had a sweet tooth...I'm a salt.a.holic!
But there is one candy bar I cannot refuse - Snickers. Every Halloween I ask Mr. Charmer not to buy Snickers, and every year he does.
He always hides them in the buffet and is surprised when I find them??? In 4 days I ate the whole bag of miniature Snickers!!!!
After my Snickers over load I was craving a comforting sweet cake.... one to have in the morning with a nice cup of hot tea and Spiced Apple Cake with Maple Glaze hit the spot!
What a great way to start the morning off...while watching all the morning bird activity through the window.
Spiced Apple Cake with Maple Glaze
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 ½ cups light brown sugar, packed
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups cold buttermilk (I made mine, 1 cup whole milk and 1 Tbsp. vinegar, let sit 5 minutes)
4 large tart apples, peeled and shredded
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
½ cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Note: when I made the glaze it was thick, I put in microwave for 15 second and it was more easy to "drip" over the cake)
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter a 9 inch bundt pan and lightly dust the inside with flour.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
3. Creme the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Then add the vanilla and mix again.
4. Add half of the buttermilk followed by half of the flour mixture. Repeat and mix until no more flour is visible. Add the shredded apples and mix them in with a spoon (batter will be thick).
5. Scrape the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and smooth the top. Baked it for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Check doneness with a cake tester. Let the cake cool on a wire rack in the Bundt pan for 10 minutes. Then turn it out onto a wire rack and let it cool completely.
6. To make the Glaze whisk together the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the maple syrup until it is completely incorporated. Let sit at room temperature until you are ready to use.
7. Once the cake has cooled completely drizzle the glaze over it and serve.