I’ve been using my slow cooker the last month more than I have in a long time, and I’m wondering why? Mr. Charmer loves stuffed cabbage…so last night I made Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Stuffed Cabbage.
It was oh so good! Mr. Charmer ate 5 rolls..he was very happy!
Want to know how to make it? Here ya go..Preparing the Cabbage: Wash and core the cabbage. Boil at least 2 quarts of water (used my tea kettle), put cabbage core side up inside a colander in the sink, slowly pour over cabbage and filling up the core hole. Separate the leaves.
Prepare the Sauce: Combine crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, cider vinegar and brown sugar together.
Prepare the Meat Filling: Mix together egg, carrot and onion. Pour over the meat, add rice, salt, pepper and ginger. Gently mix together.
Putting It All Together: Place 3-4 cups of shredded cabbage on bottom of slow cooker.
Stuff and roll leaves with filling, cover with sauce, place rolls on top of shredded cabbage. Cook on Low for 8-10 hours.
We really loved the Sweet and Sour Sauce, like I said hubs ate 5 rolls at one sitting!
Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Stuffed Cabbage
1 medium size green cabbage
1 large egg
1/2 medium size carrot, cut into chunks
1/2 medium onion, cut in to chunks
1 pound lean ground beef
1/3 cup cooked long grain white rice
3/4 tsp. salt (kosher)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/3 tsp. ground ginger, plus more for sauce
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 T cider vinegar, or to taste
3 Tbsp. light of dark brown sugar
1. Prepare Cabbage: bring a large kettle/saucepan to boil, you will use at least 2 quarts of boiling water. Wash the cabbage & use a sharp knife to cut out as much of the core you can. Set the cabbage cored side up, in a colander in the sink. Slowly pour the boiling water most of the water over the cabbage, placing in the core hole, and let run down the sides of the cabbage. Allow the cabbage to cool for a few minutes. Reserve the rest of hot water in case you need to soften a difficult leaf of two.
2. Starting at core end start peeling the leaves away carefully, one by one, using your finger to and a paring knife to detach any leaves that are still attached at core. If need be pour more hot water over like above. Remove 8-10 leaves.
3. Quarter remaining cabbage and slice crosswise into 1/4″ slices. Arrange 4 cups evenly on bottom of slow cooker.
4. Meat Filling: In blender of food processor combine the egg, carrot, and onion. If you don’t have either finely chop (or grate) carrot/onion. Place meat in bowl, p0ur egg mixture over it. Add the rice, sat, pepper, and 1/4 tsp. ginger. Mix using your hand or spoon, gently combine. Do not compact the meat.
5. Stuff the Leaves: Place a cabbage leaf on your surface so leaf curls up, stem toward you. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture inside, 1″ from bottom of leaf. Shape in to thick log, fold sides in toward filling. Keep compact and place top of shredded cabbage. Fill until all leaves are used.
6. Making the Sauce: Place tomatoes in a medium bow, stir in the tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, 1/8 tsp ginger, anda few grinds of fresh pepper. Pour over the cabbage rolls, and cook on low for 10 – 12 hours. NOTE: my slow cooker cooks hot, so I only cooked 7 hours.
7. Server with a generous portion of cabbage from bottom and sauce.