Today I am going to show you how to make a Shabby Cottage Flower!
The fabrics you'll use will obviously affect the look of your flower.
Let's get started..
1) Freehand 4 different flower shapes on paper (don't worry, perfect is not a good thing)!
The largest flower has 4 pedals, measuring 4" across (top right), cut two out
2 flowers have 7 smaller pedals each , 1 - 3 3/4" across (bottom right), and 1 - 3 1/4" across (top left)
1 flower has 5 pedals, 2 3/4" across (bottom left)
I used a heavier weight cotton, but not as heavy as twill! You want your fabric to have body!
2) Next start cutting strips of complimentary fabric in varying lengths. Also use laces and fibers (yarns).
2) Start stacking the cut flowers (largest to smallest) on top of each other.
3) Then place the scrap strips on top of the flower petals, hand tacking down (thread or hot glue).
4) On top of the fabric add some fiber, I used some burlap threads and tacked down (thread or glue).
5) Next I made a rolled fabric flower on top of the layers, tacking down (thread or glue).
After the rolled flower is secured, you can tuck in more lace and fiber around the rolled flower. Both of these help to add dept and character to the flower.
I also place a fabric "charger" behind the main flower. I cut a circle about 1 1/2" larger than finished flower and attached (thread or glue),
Just play with it until it looks the way you want!
The shabby cottage flower helped unite all my pillow fabrics together!
Share with me if you make one.