Finally posting about how we’ve been pulling the pieces together from our remodel. Our focus has been cleaning the Charmer inside and out and finishing the pumbing! Sanding dust was in every nook and cranny which came through the air ducts.
Two days after our contractor walked out we hired a plumber to replace the non-code work.
Actually, the next day, after receiving the quote, the lead guy called to say he would do it as a side job and lowered the price by $800! The project scope was to be two days, working Saturday and Sunday. We bit!
Since this would be the same guy doing the work through the company just at a lower price it would be OK. Right? Wrong!
The project wasn’t finished because they arrived 4 hours late and only worked a total of six hours.
A good job was done replacing the 1/2″ copper piping and replacing with 3/4″ code pipping which stopped the constant banging throughout the house!
The cast iron tub water riser and curtain shower rail has been the holdup! Connecting piping from the main stack to the tub has been a problem too.
The oak flooring had to be cut open to connect the piping from the stack to the tub. The drain pipes slid inside the the large holes. On the left is the attic where main stack sits.
The drain pipe is white and the copper is for the hot/cold water lines. The plumbing needed to be laid/set twice because after marking the “tubs placement” they failed to “move” it back to the original marking.
Since there’s a slanted ceiling the “tubs placement” was crucial to making it all work. They patched the floor the first time but wouldn’t the second time?
Mr. C did a really good job patching it.
Didn’t the new plumber do a really great job installing the drain and water pipes! The angle of the hot water pipe is so severe that we asked him to redo it, but, replied “that’s too much work”!
Since there’s only 32″ from the tub to the wall a mirror was used to obtain the photo.
Here it is looking downward at it.
Another thing that pisses me off (sorry) is the water connection sits higher (grey arrow) than the flooring. The chrome flange that covers the hole, doesn’t fit (arrow) because the pipping is too large. You can see it in mirror photo.
Also he simply couldn’t figure out how to keep the shower riser from NOT leaking. Its two chrome pipes with a pressure coupling.
After five weeks we fired him and yep, we’re out more money! Now let me say how incredibly embarrassing it is to admit this but if sharing our stupidity helps someone else it’s well worth it.
I’ll be honest, I don’t remember being as angry, frustrated and violated as we feel right now. But I don’t want my anger to cloud my judgement. Since we didn’t use the company we don’t have a guarantee to fall back on. Would you report him to his company? He could be fired if we did.
Mr. C and I were able to install the shower riser and curtain surround, and since its not the prettiest work, but, it works! I took my first shower the other night!
Moving on and picking up the pieces…
Due to the fact the flooring was only partially sanded but not stained or sealed and we simply do not have the money to do now…
We laid down area rugs to help protect the flooring. Since there’s no sealant on to protect.
The area rugs will help protect the flooring until we can afford to have them done.
Mr. C put in drywall and patched the wall area where the main plumbing stack is located.
Until we save some money there no doors can be installed in the bathroom, linen closet or hallway…
No doorways patched..
No baseboard and no window trim…
As best we can we’ve been pulling the pieces together and moving forward.
In one day my feelings span anger, embarrassment, violation, depression and then crying always feels good. Its like we’ve been on a roller coaster and we can’t get off!