…So, I’ve put together a tutorial (basic, my 1st one) for you. I’ll try and explain the process the best I can. Being a newbie to blogging I realized I didn’t take enough pictures (won’t happen again?) on all the steps.
Our deck sits 2 feet higher off the ground than our neighbors. We want PRIVACY when we are out on our deck. The shutter screen will provide us the privacy we want – but realized our budget (recent medical bills) won’t allow purchasing 2 sets of 7 foot tall outdoor shutters. The solution to our problem came from searching Craig’s List – and found 6 sets of outdoor window shutters for 20 buckaroo’s.
Want to see how to make this gorgeous privacy screen….
Using 6 sets of old vintage shutter’s from craigslist.
This is two separate sets of the shutters.
Then we glued and clamped 2 separate sets of shutters together….
Each set of shutters (1 lath with 1 solid piece) measures 16 1/4″ wide by 39 1/4″ high. Originally we were going to stack 3 sets of double shutters on top of each other to measure 32 1/2″ wide by 117 3/4″ high.
This would make the screen too tall – extending above the top of the arbor, or below the deck. We decided to use just 2 doubles. With just two sets the screen would measurement 32 1/2″ wide by 78 1/2″ tall, just under 7′).
To attached the shutter screen to the deck we secured the outside edges of the shutters to 2×2’s (Mr. Charmer bought a 10 foot, 2×4, and ripped them down to 2×2).
Next we attached 10′ – 2×2 (our deck height) to the white painted shutters along both long sides with glue and nails.
You can see we started playing around with the screen (tall green shutter on left). After attaching the shutters to the 2×2’s we lifted it up in place to see how it looked. Even though it looked great, it just wasn’t WIDE enough. We though about attaching the left over set (bought 6 sets of 2, and above is 4 sets of 2, leaving 1 set of 2 leftover). But it just didn’t look right.
Then I remembered we had a 1 full set of 7 foot shutters in our living room. Originally this set (we threw away the other side, ugh) came from one of the bedrooms closets downstairs.
Please don’t judge me, (never expected anyone to see this picture) this was Christmas last year, and blogging was just a twinkle in my eye! See in the back corner, to the right of the Christmas tree are the green shutters.
To get the privacy we wanted the width of the screen needed to be wider. Attaching one half of the tall shutter to each side really made a difference. We sprayed painted them….
Then we again attached the single tall shutter to another set of 2×2’s to the outer edges. After attaching we went to hang the screen up, and it seemed a little “wobbly”. To fix this we decided to attached bracing.
We put braces on the sides and across the top and bottom of the screen (no picture of additional braces). Doing this really made a solid piece.
We attached then to the top, back side of the arbor and at the bottom of the deck.
Want to see what the deck looks like finished see here.
If you have any questions please let me know.