Smiles, friends. Tis the season for canning and preserving summers best…corn! Whole corn on the cob is the best way to eat corn. One lucky thin is we won’t be using a water bath to preserve the corn, but a simple way is to blanch the corn and freeze in seal tight bag is an easy what preserving whole corn.
I’ve been busy canning tomatoes, sauces, salsas, pickles and more. So its been a hectic but rewarding week because I like preserving summers bounties. I also love spending time in the kitchen.
I also wanted to take advantage of all the great fresh corn at the Farmers Market. I bought tons of fresh corn.
It is so easy to freeze corn. We love having corn on the cob all year round and freezing fresh corn makes it possible.
1) First husk corn and remove silks.
2) Blanch the corn in boiling water for 3 -4 minutes (5-6 minutes for larger ears)
3) Place corn in cold water to stop the cooking process
4) Pat the corn dry
5) Individually wrap the corn in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, if you want smaller portions cut or snap in half.
6) Place corn in freezer bags or vacuum pack.
Note: To prepare frozen corn just takes about 3 or 4 minutes in the microwave (from frozen) or 5 or 6 minutes in a pot of boiling water. It doesn’t need to be “cooked”, just heated up!
The sealed corn was done using a sealing machine. How easy is that!
You’ll be able to enjoy fresh corn all year long.