Mr. C and I have been working the past few days in the gardens and by the dinner time comes my energy is on the low side. An easy, no hands on dinner is what I needed to get dinner on the table. Baked Pesto Chicken came to mind when I realized I had fresh mozzarella in the fridge. A staple I always have on hand is pesto since it can be used in so many different ways.
Whenever I’ve made this I’ve had whole tomatoes on hand but cherry tomatoes does just as well. The dish sat a few minutes before taking the photos so the cheese doesn’t show how gooey it is coming out of the oven.
Last week boneless skinless chicken breast was on sale and picked up several packs. I’m not a big fan of boneless chicken breast since I feel the lack flavor…other will disagree…and that’s OK since we should all be allowed our opinion which seems to be lacking in the world these days. I often cook with bone-on chicken breasts for their great flavor.
The chicken was left in the oven about 3 minutes too long…and lucky I caught it in time before it burnt! Its still cooler at night so using the oven is still a good thing!
Baked Pesto Chicken
4 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, or 4 roma tomatoes
3 oz. pesto, of olive oil and fresh or dried basil
8oz fresh Mozzarella Cheese
Preheat oven to 400
- Lightly coat baking dish with EVOO or lightly spray with cooking spray if you prefer.
- Place chicken breasts in dish and spread Pesto (or olive oil and fresh or dried basil) and spread to coat each chicken piece.
- Place tomato slices on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Place mozzarella slices on top
- Sprinkle with oregano, basil or your preference, or an Italian blend and sprinkle Parmesan Cheese on top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.